Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Morning Traffic

Experienced the worst of public transport today… or shall I say, the human heart? Mom and dad sent me to the train station in the morning. They were planning to walk the market several rounds – window-shopping + exercise.

I met a footballer friend yesterday at the station, same time. As I bought the ticket, I wondered if I’ll meet anyone I know… Looked around to check for familiar faces, but all I found was the I-hate-Mondays look even though it’s already Tuesday... I’m used to being alone during most of my travels (to college, office, church). Apart from the waiting (don’t get me started), I enjoy my time on the bus/train. That’s of course when I’m not busy complaining… It will be a time of reflection, self-analysis, recalling something funny, exploring possibilities, and idea generation. I usually achieve these things alone and undistracted.

So there I was… Passed through the gate and on the platform I waited. Checked the timer – oh, 7 more minutes before the next train comes. As my eyes motioned back to the distance, where the train would come, I met another footballer. But even more than that, as I found from our conversation later on, I met another dream-runner.

Funny how we’ve never connected… I guess I never took the time to bother. But this morning we found so many common grounds. We both ride the same ride, for a start. I just found out he was a footballer on Sunday when we played together in a Father’s Day soccer match. Turns out he’s studying the course I’m interested in – Mass Communication. He then shared about his main goal in pursuing this course – it’s a God-given dream, I tell you!!

We continued our conversation as we entered into the crowded train. We got deeper, and I too shared my God-given dream. Wow, I’m seriously not alone!! “This is no coincidence…” I think to myself. We are both riding the same ride indeed!! It’s a divine appointment, and only the Dream-Giver could have pulled it off so flawlessly…

As I walked towards the office, I was again reminded that I had not played football in a while and how much I dislike our public transport system… even though my legs were a bit worn out, I felt my spirit lifted onto a higher ground. The feeling did not transpose into the physical realm, but I could swear that I felt a gush of wind sweep pass me. My heart secretly wished that the track that Prakash and I run on will be as cramped up as that train was… and I believe that as the Dream-Giver continues to give us the grace we need to run with these dreams, this wish of mine will be fulfilled…

And you won’t see morning traffic the same again…

No comments: