Friday, March 31, 2006

Romans 2

I was in charge of the SCG class discussion last Sunday morning. Those before just had to choose questions from the study material and bring it up for discussion, but not me. We were suppose to talk about the book of Romans, and the discussion questions prepared in the study material just didn't cut it. There was so much more that had to be talked about and reflected upon.

So I studied Romans 2 - 4, and I had to read 3 different versions of the bible in order for me to understand what Paul was trying to say. I decided that the discussion question for the study group that day would be "What the hell is Paul trying to say??"... I remember studying the book of Romans before and had reached a satisfying conclusion for myself. But nowdays I find myself revisiting many questions of the past.

Romans 2:17-29
'Now you, if you call yourself a Jew; if you rely on the law and brag about your relationship to God; if you know his will and approve of what is superior because you are instructed by the law; if you are convinced that you are a guide for the blind, a light for those who are in the dark, an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of infants, because you have in the law the embodiment of knowledge and truth— you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself? You who preach against stealing, do you steal? You who say that people should not commit adultery, do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? You who brag about the law, do you dishonor God by breaking the law? As it is written: "God's name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you."

Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the
law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised. If those who are not circumcised keep the law's requirements, will they not be regarded as though they were circumcised? The one who is not circumcised physically and yet obeys the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker.

A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision
merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.'

What I learnt from this passage, is that I am not counted as righteous (in right standing with God) because I became a Christian, joined a church, and praticipated in as many church programmes and activities as possible. This counts for nothing, if we don't practice obedience and follow the footsteps of Jesus out of a repentant heart. I am no different from a non-Christian if I don't practice my faith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well...u've just abt sumd it up nicely...i guess there's more to being a Jew than just preachin' it...makes more sense to live the law...after all who needs a physical circumsion..when in da inside...ur all messed up...just my 2 cents...