Wednesday, March 30, 2005

A Response

John 9 tells us a story of a man blind since birth. A question was raised to Jesus – “Who sinned? This man or his parents?”

Jesus answered with profound wisdom.

“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Whenever something bad occurs, we always wonder who’s to blame. We look at the things that are happening in the world – tsunami, war, murder, and ruthless crime – and try to figure out what’s the cause. Was it man's fault? Did Satan cause it? Why did God allow it?

The truth is that I don’t have the answers. All I know is that as long as there’s still time, I want to reflect the light of Jesus. What can I give? How much am I willing to sacrifice? What am I called to do? I believe I'm created for such a time as this. And I want to serve my purpose in my generation.

The Message provides a greater light into this passage:

John 9:3-4 -- Jesus said, "You're asking the wrong question. You're looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what God can do. We need to be energetically at work for the One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. For as long as I am in the world, there is plenty of light. I am the world's Light."

Matthew 5:14-15 (New Living Translation)-- "You are the light of the world--like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all. 16In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey JC,

Keep up the good work bro. Enjoy reading the write up.

God bless and keep shining.

In Jesus,
Kohs Down Under