Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Chasing the wind

Here is a sad but true fact - The world will embrace you only if you embrace the world. So how then shall we live our lives?

I was watching a stupid show one boring night. Ya, I know. It's a stupid show and yet I still watch it, stupid right? Oh the stupidness (note:no such word, meant purely for exaggeration purposes)of a stupid person's stupidity... Anyway, back to the point.

This show gathers local celebrities(most I don't know of... Aren't celebrities famous people? Which proves another point, right? Yes, very stupid people getting conned by studip show)to talk about... 'stuff'. So there was this one time their topic was the metrosexual man. So what is a metrosexual man? One dude, celebrity konon-nya, said the following statement with a strong conviction.

"Metosexuals are guys who dare to wear a pink top with white pants, because it's "in"..."

At this stage, I'm like "What?!! Did he just say that on national television? You mean metrosexuals are men whose lives are all about conforming to current trends, what's 'in'?" Oh ya, and by the way, he was wearing pink bunny ears on his head during the entire show...(I know, I hate myself for actually sitting through the entire show. But you know what boring nights do to you...)

I don't think guys should wear pink, because it doesn't really look nice on us. Few can pull it off nicely, but I think that it should remain as a girl's colour... But so what?That's my opinion. Besides, that's not the point I'm trying to put across here. Please believe me, I have nothing against guys who like the colour pink. In fact, I don't even care for your colour prefences... let me repeat, I DON'T CARE. Colour prefences have no effect on your soul...

THE HEART OF THE MATTER HERE IS THE MATTER OF THE HEART.

1 Samuel 16:7 "...For the Lord sees not as man sees; for man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."

I believe that we shouldn't be proud when we can fit in to the trends of the world or feel insecure if we don't do "in" or cool things... Our identity and security shouldn't be based on who we hang out with, what clothes we wear, how late we catch a movie, how fast we can drive, how many times in a week we go mamak with friends, how good our grades are, how many girlfriends we had, what handphones we carry, where we shop, how cool we are... Why? Because all these will fade away. Trends change, get substituted... Will we ever be satisfied? If our identity and self-esteem are based on trends, we will find ourselves constantly pursuing temporary solutions for our ever-present emptiness... Chasing the wind. And there's way more to life than that...

Who's to say where the wind will take you
Who's to know what it is will break you
I don't know which way the wind will blow
(From Kite, All that you can't leave behind, U2)

Matthew 5:5 "You're blessed when you're content with just who you are--no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought."

My security is based on one truth - that God loves me no matter what. And I want to live my life embracing that truth.

Romans 8:38-39 I'm absolutely convinced that nothing--nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable--absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us.

No comments: