Saturday, November 11, 2006

Psalm 37:4

Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (New International Version)

Previously I struggled with this verse, a lot. To gain what I want, I'll have to desire what He wants? It felt unfair. I had the idea that ultimately He wins, because I didn't get what I asked for. But I got what He wanted for me. That just didn't seem right. What about me?

It was only recently that I looked back at this verse & finally understood what it means. Mom & dad helped me out with that too. A friend was telling me about how she decided she couldn't believe in God anymore. He didn't answer her prayer. The first thing that came to my mind was "hey, He's God. He can do whatever he wants. If God moves according to whatever we wanted, He wouldn't be God - we would. And the world will be in total chaos, simply because there are so many gods". I gave an example of 2 guys praying for the same girl. Who will win? In the end, it's God's will that'll prevail.

She did not give an answer to that. She was just quiet. But her face tells me that she wasn't convinced. In fact, after some thought, I wasn't convinced myself. Then this verse popped in my head - this Psalm 37:4. It took some time before it finally sank into my soul.

To delight in God is to find everything we need in Him. And He is indeed everything we need. A friend that never gives up on us, always forgives, loves us unconditionally. It's about understanding who God is and how much He loves us. It's about being assured by the One who gave it all, and will continue to provide all that we need. It's freedom - freedom from trying too hard to gain love, acceptance, peace, comfort, security.

Get insurance with God and do a good deed, settle down and stick to your last. Keep company with God, get in on the best. (The Message)

Psalm 23:1 - The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.

Galatians 5:1 - It is for freedom that Christ has set us free

No comments: